Vieques boasts a beautiful oceanfront campsite on Sun Bay, a Puerto Rico National Park (Compañía De Parques Nacionales) located on the south side of the island.
- Campsites are $10 per site per night (maximum of 6 people to a site)
- Enter the gate at Sun Bay Park (Rt. 997) and go straight ahead. Look for the sign for the Administrative Offices. There are two offices, one for Department of Natural Resources and one for the Parque Nacionale. Choose the Parque office, open 7 days a week including holidays, and say hello to Julio Rodriquez, the smiling and helpful Superintendent of the park. You may see Julio on his 4-wheeler patrolling the beach during your stay. In the office you will also meet another helpful staff member, Lucy O’Neill, who will collect your fees.
- Café Arenamar is located in the building adjacent to the site. The café has a great food and beverage menu including pastelillos, smoothies, beer and cocktails, all deliverable to the beach or your table. Owners Erica and Chasti will even hack open a fresh coconut and hand you a straw.
- Sites must be secured and paid for between 8:30am and 5pm. There is no limit to the number of days you can camp.
- Sites are in a flat, grassy, fenced area, adjacent to the beach. There is no camping on the sand.
- Sleeping bags are acceptable. Tents are recommended but not required.
- Charcoal grilling is permitted within the campsite area and there are permanent grills. You bring the charcoal. No cooking on the sand. There are some picnic tables on the beach.
- Bathrooms are nearby. Showers are outside. No bathing in the bathrooms.
- Campfires are not allowed.
- Vehicles must be parked in the visitor parking area.
- Quiet time begins at 10pm as a courtesy to the other campers.
- A Security Guard is on duty from 3pm till 7am.
Remember, the beach area is part of the natural environment. Nesting sea turtles, horses and other wildlife inhabit the beaches. Avoid contaminating or spoiling their habitat in anyway.
Did you know?
Sun Bay is available for parties and catered events. Typical rentals run from $115 to $300. Just ask Julio (787-741-8198).